Junior | 6′ 3″, 205 lbs | December 15, 1999 | Phenix City, AL
A long and athletic deep threat receiver with rare ball skills, smooth route running, and good body composition.
Ross burst onto the national scene as a freshamn in 2018 after dominant performances in both the Cotton Bowl and the CFP National Championship Game. After 12 catches for over 300 yards and 3 touchdowns in the two playoff games, some expected Ross to maintain that level of success in his sophomore season. While his 2019 was by no means a bad season (66 rec, 856 yds, 8 TD), it was not what many were hoping to see. The fomer #1 recruit from Alabama is set to be the main target for Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence.
- Body control
- Ball tracking and snatching abilty
- Route Running
- Route Savvy: finds open holes in coverage
- Seperation via route running and using size/length to his advantage
- Natural catcher of the football
- Good release and can escape press coverage
- Diverse Route Tree: can run the short and medium routes in addition to going deep
Areas to Improve:
- RAC Production
- Run Blocking
- Can occasionally struggle with strength at the catch point
- Revive the big play ability shown in ’18
- Serparation via speed
- Missed 1 game in 2019 with a hip injury
Way Early Projection:
Ross is a rare talent at the WR position, and even with another stacked WR class should be considered one of the best available. Few offenses in the NFL don’t need a big bodied pass catcher with a diverse route tree and great ball skills, so expect Ross to be gone by early Day 2 at the latest and turn into an imediate impact player.
What To Watch For:
Ross will likely be the #1 target for Trevor Lawrence, who will be looking to put up some big numbers himself to solidify his spot as the #1 Overall Pick in 2021. With this in mind, Ross should see an increase in opportunities since Tee Higgins is no longer around to share the load. If Ross can capitalize on this and recapture the big play production he flashed as a freshman, it will be a big year in Clemson for all involved.